Brian Elfert

Default Husqvarna Chainsaw Fiasco

(Robert Bonomi) writes:

They bought one full-page ad, and the newspaper ran a THREE PAGE (three _full_
pages, including the entire front page of the 'family' section) "feature"
story about the new store. (Yes, the newspaper management was _drooling_
at the thought that they might start behaving like a 'regular' grocery
again -- picking up several full pages of ads every week.)

I work for a large metro newspaper, and yes, grocery stores are huge
advertisers. The owner of one chain went bankrupt and we lost several
million dollars as a result of the bankruptcy.

Now that I work at a newspaper, I have mixed feelings about advertising.
On the one hand, my job depends on advertising, but on the other hand I'd
rather pay less for the goods I buy.

There are three big grocers in town, two chains and SuperTarget. The two
chains advertise like crazy in all media. About the only advertising
SuperTarget does for food is a weekly insert in the sunday paper.

SuperTarget has lower prices on almost all groceries, in some cases far
lower. I stil go to the chains occasionally, but only because SuperTarget
doesn't carry as much.

Brian Elfert