Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kill them all! - the new gas can?

On 9/11/2014 11:14 AM, nestork wrote:
Is there some Department of Transportation regulation that requires gas
cans to be red and the corresponding cans for diesel fuel to be yellow?

It does occur to me that every Wedco plastic gas container I've ever
seen has been red in colour, but it never crossed my mind that it was
SUPPOSED to be red.

And, is there any reason for this?

I found numerous references in government sites (CA and VA, for
instance) mandating red for gasoline, yellow for diesel and blue for
kerosene. Can't find the federal standard but you can bet your bippy
it's there someplace.

Reason? To make it very clear what's in the container of course. All
you have to worry about is the guy who puts gasoline in the kerosene
container or diesel in the gasoline containterg

I've heard that using gasoline in a diesel
engine does MAJOR damage. I've found that
disel in a gas engine doesn't run well at
all.

--
..
Christopher A. Young