Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default kill them all! - the new gas can?

On 9/11/14, 11:16 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 9/10/2014 11:42 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:19:20 -0500:

I don't have any difficulty with a 5 gallon container, but my wife does.

Have you ever tried pouring five gallons of gas into an automobile?

No, I haven't and for the exact reason you give.

Using the plastic 5 gallon cans with or without the screwed up spouts,
it's not all that difficult to fill the Bobcat's tanks as they are at a
convenient height and provide easy access to the fill neck. AAMOF, of
late once I get the first gallon into the tank from a full can, I just
set it down and remove the spout altogether. With the installed valve
stem vent open, I just pour it into the tank without a funnel. The
angle and the wide mouth filler neck make it a snap.

As for him that said he pours out five gallons in 20 seconds...
Bull****! You couldn't empty a five gallon can on the ground in that
time let alone into a fuel tank.

I sometimes pour gas into my riding mower without screwing the spout on,
but it pours a lot faster with the spout. Head supplies the energy to
make a liquid flow. With no spout, I have a fraction of an inch of
head. With a 10" spout pointed down, I have several inches of head.

If I were to pour the gas into a funnel, I wouldn't have much head in
the can or in the funnel.

Head supplies the energy to accelerate a liquid. Accelerated to a given
speed, 4 times more will flow through a 1" opening than through a 1/2"
opening. You can dump a can fastest if the spout has the largest
opening that will fit your tank.

Turbulence slows flow. If a spout is tapered, being as wide as possible
where it fastens to the can, it will cause less turbulence than a
straight tube. Corrugations will cause turbulence.

Viscosity slows flow. If I entered a gas-pouring race, I'd let the can
get hot in the sun before pouring.