Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default kill them all! - the new gas can?

On 9/11/14, 2:02 AM, Danny D. wrote:
J Burns wrote, on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 01:46:53 -0400:

A couple of weeks ago, a hospital security official informed police he
suspected a man of having gas in his trunk. They went for a warrant.
The judge said if they suspected gas in a trunk, it was a public
emergency and they didn't need a warrant.

Since I carry 50 gallons of gas on my trunk all the time, and, since
I've checked with the fire marshal & OSHA regulations for storage,
and since I've checked with the CHP for transportation, I was
surprised at what you wrote ... but ... if you read the article,
you find he had completely assembled molotov cocktails in his car.

In addition, while you mentioned the "hospital security official",
you didn't note that the perpetrator was a patient in their
psychiatric ward, who had expressed €śhomicidal tendencies€ť,
according to the article and that a crossbow was in the car
in addition to 25 molotov cocktails.

So, I wouldn't exactly characterize what the police termed
"entirely assembled molotov cocktails" on the same level as
someone transporting 10 five-gallon cans of gasoline in approved
containers.

I wouldn't want to carry 50 gallons of gas in my trunk in consumer cans
all the time. I'm sure no trucker would bump my trunk on purpose, but
plastic cans may deteriorate and crack. It reminds me of the line from
Young Frankenstein: "A riot is a terrible thing once it gets started."

I wasn't aware of it, but some military jerry cans were plastic. The
National Forest Service, National Parks Service, and Bureau of Land
Management, have prohibited the plastic ones since 2012 except in
sal****er environments. They specify metal jerry cans meeting
specification UN 3A1. For transportation, they recommend replacing the
self-closing lid with a bung.

I'll put that on my shopping list.