Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default kill them all! - the new gas can?

On 9/11/14, 12:49 AM, Danny D. wrote:
J Burns wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 21:36:21 -0400:

I suppose they mean not to keep it in your trunk. When I fetch gas in
the car, I like to keep it up front, where I can see or smell any problem.

Legally, in California, you can carry up to 600 pounds (yes, pounds) of
hazardous materials in your car (or truck) without needing a special
permit. That's more gasoline than you can carry.

In NY, I believe it's 25 gallons, which is less gasoline than you can carry.
I can carry about 50 gallons in my trunk, for example.

A couple of weeks ago, a hospital security official informed police he
suspected a man of having gas in his trunk. They went for a warrant.
The judge said if they suspected gas in a trunk, it was a public
emergency and they didn't need a warrant. They brought their
drug-sniffing dog, and he alerted. That guy's in big trouble now!

http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news/article_fd9c1234-6ff6-5e2f-ab6a-dfb3d3912c71.html

I've read that if you carry gas in a trunk, you should leave the trunk
open and not combine that trip with other errands.

I put my can on the pavement before filling. If it's on the mat in a
truck bed, a spark could jump between the nozzle and the can.