Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
Todd typed:
Hi All,

Help!

refrigerator freezer:
Whirlpool GR2SHKXKQ
21.6 cu ft
Purchased ~ 12/2010

Stinker won't cool below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Both
sections.

It started out stinking like a burnt tire. Then frost all
over the freezer items.

So I replaced the 4387244 Condenser Fan Motor, which indeed
was leaking oil and not spinning too freely. .....

This probably won't help, and I don't really know a lot about
refrigerator/freezer stuff, but....
maybe try unplugging the unit, wait 5 minutes, then plug it back in. I am
just wondering if the earlier event that caused the burning
smell may have goofed up the software and, if so, maybe doing the
"reboot" routine will work. Unlikely, I know, but it's free to try.

Oops, when I posted this before, I was assuming that the refrigerator was
fairly new with digital/computer circuitry and software since you wrote
above: "Purchased ~ 12/2010".

But, in a recent post you wrote that you bought in 2001, not 2010, so it's
13 years old. Of course, my "reboot" idea won't work on a 13 year old
fridge.

In case it helps, we recently had a central HVAC system that produced a
burning smell and then wouldn't cool. We have a utility company "WorryFree"
service contract on that unit and they came out and the problem was the
start capacitor (or whatever that is called) on the compressor. He replaced
the start capacitor and that fixed it. I think he said the burning smell
came from the bad capacitor, but I am not sure about that.

So, maybe if you try your idea of replacing the start capacitor that will
fix it. If not, then maybe look on Craig's List for a used one, or buy a
new one.

Good luck.