Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

On 9/6/14, 6:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/6/2014 5:57 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
At a guess, your fan died. Without the fan the cooling coils in the
floor of your freezer iced up. Why the defrost cycle didn't clear this,
I don't know but it happens. You've replaced the bad fan and thawed the
cooling coils. I hope that fixes it.
If not fixed post back with freezer and fridge temps.

Dave M.

He did say it was about 50F in fridge and freezer
both. And good air flow. This isn't consistent
with your diagnosis.

If his frozen food hasn't thawed, I suppose the food is holding the
freezer at about 32 F. I'd take an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer
and put the probe in the evaporator air in the freezer. I don't know
what the temperature drop should be, but if it read 12 F, for example,
I'd think the problem was that the thermostat wasn't keeping the
compressor on long enough.

If it looked like thermostat trouble (as the repairman guessed), I'd
look for the possibility that some obstruction was subjecting it to too
much freezer air. If that didn't pan out, and it were possible to lean
a water bag against the thermostat area, a bag of lukewarm water might
be used to trick the thermostat and save the food until it could be fixed.