Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 17:57:41 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Todd,

Ok, Let's call a few friends and get the food from your freezer to
theirs. Do you have a cooler? Borrow one if not. Get some ice. and move the
fridge contents to the cooler.
Great, it's no longer an emergency. Lets turn off the fridge. Open the
doors. We're going to thaw it out. Should take 3 hrs. Your beer will go bad
if you don't drink it. Have one now.
All right. Let's turn the fridge on. Set the various controls to mid-scale
or whatever the manual advises. Close the doors. It can take about 8 hrs for
the fridge to cool down. Got a fridge thermometer I hope. Put it in the
freezer. Those beers are going bad. Drink another one.
It's been 8 hrs so what's the freezer temp? Less then 5 deg F? Move the
thermometer to the fridge section. How's the temp there? Around 40? Move the
food from the cooler back into the fridge.
Let it run for a few days. If the temps stay cool then get your freezer
contents back.
At a guess, your fan died. Without the fan the cooling coils in the floor
of your freezer iced up. Why the defrost cycle didn't clear this, I don't
know but it happens. You've replaced the bad fan and thawed the cooling
coils. I hope that fixes it.
If not fixed post back with freezer and fridge temps.

Dave M.

Dry Ice in a cooler will save the day. Storage at the neighbor's
house, in a freezer, is another option, for a few days. BTDT

Dry Ice will keep the freezer contents frozen in a good cooler. BTDT.

I ship seafood using dry ice. Wrapped in newspaper.