Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 3:51:01 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
On 09/06/2014 12:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Help!

refrigerator freezer:

Whirlpool GR2SHKXKQ

21.6 cu ft

Purchased ~ 12/2010

Stinker won't cool below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Both

sections.

It started out stinking like a burnt tire. Then frost all

over the freezer items.

So I replaced the 4387244 Condenser Fan Motor, which indeed

was leaking oil and not spinning too freely.

Now I have lots of air going in the bottom front left

(my left, its right) and going out the bottom front

right.

The wind coming out the fan in the freezer section

is not all that cold.

The thing runs for a while and stops. Then cycles

again after a bit. If it is off and I kill power at

the breaker, it will start again.

I need my freeze back before I loose big dollars

in food. And the local repairmen take forever to get

here. Plus, most of them suck at it. The one guy

that is magic at this stuff is so far away, it is

hard to get him to come out (I insist on paying travel,

but he is swamped.)

-T

Hi,

No ice build up inside any where? Checked defrost timer?

Hi Tony,

No ice anywhere.

How do I check the defrost timer?

If you can just let the whole unit warm up enough to basically start fresh,
it won't matter if the defrost is working or not. It will have been defrosted
by being turned off, warmed up. When you restart it, if it still doesn't cool,
then you know it's not a defrost issue, be it the timer, heater or whatever.

From the description, it sounds like you have bigger problems. Basic diagnosis
I would do is if the compressor is running, air is flowing over the condensor
coils, and the evaporator coils are not getting real cold, then you have a
refrigerant system issue of some kind and time to either junk it or call a pro.