william kossack

Default Different versions of the Nova DVR 3000?

The entire reason for my quest for a new lathe is that my grizzly lathe
has a really small motor and I doubt that
it is 1/2 hp. I've discovered over the past year there are many turning
projects that I would like to try that I dare
not attempt on a 1/2 horse grizzly lathe. I wish I could afford
something really nice but I'm limited in space
and money. The Nova DVR would be at the max of what I should spend and
unless someone can show
me something competative within my price range I'll probably end up with
a Nova DVR.

When looking at lathes under $1,000 the problem of minimum rpm comes
into play since I want to try and turn
larger bowls.

What I'm curious about is the actual differences in the different
versions of the Nova DVR. The question
is, if I found both of the first two types used what would be a good
price to pay. Then the question is
how much benefit is there in really buying the newest version if one of
the older models is available.

I'm sorry if this is too much analysis for the purchase of only a lathe
but spending $1-2,000 is not something
I do quickly or lightly unless it happens to be something like repairing
the furnace or repairing my car so I
can get to work. After all for me it is hobby though woodworking and
turning helps in the long
run to keep me sane (raising two teenagers and work stress requires a
certain amount of therapy).

Reyd Dorakeen wrote:

the woodfast lathe in the shop goes down only to 300 something, and it isnt
a cheap lathe(unfortunately)
in article , Ecnerwal at
wrote on 1/20/04 3:14 PM:

3rd can run at 100 rpm (100 rpm is really slow for a lathe). There are

For a lathe spinning small spindles, perhaps. Or if you've been
brainwashed into thinking that the reason cheap lathes never have a low
end below 500 RPM is a design decision based on something other than
$cheap. I go below 100 rpm just about every time I use a lathe that is
capable of doing that, and I've gotten sick and tired of lathes that are
not.

YMMV, DWYL, etc...