Peter Teubel

Default Different versions of the Nova DVR 3000?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:13:19 GMT, william kossack wrote:

As I continue to research what lathe to buy I've made some disoveries
about the DVR

I have the most recent version. 500 RPM default starting speed, 100rpm lowest speed. Currently running on 110vac. Great lathe.
Very smooth. Lots of torque. But then again, I have an old 1500lb pattern makers lathe that I do all my roughing on, so the Nova
only gets balanced big stuff.

I like the fact that belt changes are a thing of the past. Even on my big lathe, I still have to change belt positions to stay in
the motor's narrow torque curve. There's only two things I don't care for on the DVR. 1) Speed chages are SLOW compared to a dial
or even a Reeves drive. For small stuff that requires frequent speed changes (pens and such), I switch to another lathe. 2) The
motor/drive system is proprietary. With any other lathe, you can replace the motor and/or drive controller with off-the-shelf
components. With the DVR, you're stuck with parts supplied from one vendor. Is that a problem? I dunno, but we'll see 10yrs down
the road...

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com