william kossack

Default Different versions of the Nova DVR 3000?

As I continue to research what lathe to buy I've made some disoveries
about the DVR

There are 3 different versions of the DVR
the first was made a couple years ago
the second was made up until recently
the insides of the frist 2 can apparently be interchanged but not with
the most recent version. Or is it that the guts can't be interchanged
or that the computer cant be interchanged? I'm not sure.

the man difference that I have been able to find is the default starting
speed on the first is 1500 rpm, on the 2nd and 3rd is 600 rpm but the
3rd can run at 100 rpm (100 rpm is really slow for a lathe). There are
some cosmetic differences in the headstock. The computer is also
supposed to be faster on the 3rd version meaning that it reacts faster
and settings can be changed maybe a bit faster.

Another difference is that I think only the 2nd and 3rd versions can be
converted to run at 240 volts. At that power the lathe has more torque
at lower speeds. Again I'm not sure about this so if anyone know
differently please fill in.

The real question is what other differences exist in the newer version
of this lathe. For example, are they making it better or more cheeply.
I have not heard too many complaints about the quality or the
capabilities of any version of the lathe. But are they fixing mistakes
or problems in the earlier versions. Or are they trying to increase
their profit margin on the product. Except for american car compainies
and microsoft!-) companies don't make changes in products just to change
them because there is cost associated with these changes and hassles in
supporting different versions in the long run....unless support is
dropped such as in the microsoft business model

I am still looking.