Bill Day

Default Update: I'm done turning for a while

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:27:22 GMT, william kossack
wrote:

The question is how much should I spend for a tool rest for a lathe that
only cost $150 to begin with. The motor on this lathe is so weak that
if I hold on to a piece mounted to the lathe when I turn on the motor I
have no trouble keeping it from turning.

My wife gave me the lathe a couple years ago. It has been an OK
learning lathe but.... I now have a set of chisels (just two of which
cost more than the lathe), a grinder to sharpen the chisels (just the
grinder cost me more than the lathe but wish I had a better one). and
over time I've aquired a collection of blanks that I have either
purchased or been given as well as a few logs of local wood (the wood is
probably several times the value of the lathe) and a nova chuck which
cost more than the lathe.

I think a new lathe is in my future. I just wish they did not cost so much.

I know exactly what you mean...I had Grizzley for lathe #2, and a sorry
mess it was! I don't know where I'd be if I han't inherited some $$$ and
bought a decent one...I'd like better yet, but just can't afford it...

Save, plan, and do the best you can...(even a smaller GOOD lathe can
work)