James Barley

Default Update: I'm done turning for a while

George,
According to your "opinion" then most of the woodturners in the world are
constantly putting their lives at risk.
Seeing has how almost all lathes, from entry level right on up to the top
end, such as Oneways make their toolrests from cast iron.
Some just use better iron then others.

James Barley
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley

"georgetroy" wrote in message
om...
In my opinion anytime you use a cast iron tool rest you are putting
your turning life at risk. In my turning of over 20 years I have
broken one tool rest and snapped off on scraper. The broken tool rest
was on an outboard support and it tilted; pop went the wessel. GT

http://www.georgetroygraphics.com

Peter Teubel wrote in message

. ..
A good tool rest shouldn't break under ANY wood turning

curcumstances...regardless of the severity of the catch. Just get a GOOD
tool rest and you'll be back in business. Personally, I replaced my

THREE broken Jet tool rests (and banjo) with a Oneway banjo &
tool rest. Best investment I ever made in that lathe. It actually makes

it pleasurable to turn on it again.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 02:15:41 GMT, william kossack

wrote:

I had planned on driving down to woodcraft to look at their lathes one
more time today but I got wrapped up doing some chores and working on a
maple chair I've been making.

Caught my next door neighbor as he came home today. I had to return
something so I took it over. During our conversation mentioned the

break.

The update is he offered to fix the rest. He has a body shop with

guyes
that can do the welding so what the heck I let him take it. We
continued our conversation about building a lathe that we have had
before....if only I could find a head stock.

Later as I was working on dinner while my wife was finally taking down
the christmas tree. A little girl showed up at the front door. It was
the 6 year old daughter from next door bringing a harber freight

catalog
for me.

william kossack wrote:

It must be a sign from above but I was working on a chunk of wood
trying to round it after doing the best I could with a saw when snap!
and the tool rest for my grizzly 8691 lathe broke off. The cast iron
just snapped.

I cleaned up and then slathered the wood with green cut (no sense in
trying to bag it because it will be a while before I either get a
replacement or buy an new lathe) and pulled the lathe into the

garage.

I guess I have to get serious now about if I should replace the tool
rest or buy a new lathe all together. I've been looking at nova

but
feel an ouch each time I see the price. Then again anything that
turns slow enough for starting bowls is really the same price as the
nova. I'll have to have a talk with my swmbo tonight

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com