william kossack

Default Update: I'm done turning for a while

The question is how much should I spend for a tool rest for a lathe that
only cost $150 to begin with. The motor on this lathe is so weak that
if I hold on to a piece mounted to the lathe when I turn on the motor I
have no trouble keeping it from turning.

My wife gave me the lathe a couple years ago. It has been an OK
learning lathe but.... I now have a set of chisels (just two of which
cost more than the lathe), a grinder to sharpen the chisels (just the
grinder cost me more than the lathe but wish I had a better one). and
over time I've aquired a collection of blanks that I have either
purchased or been given as well as a few logs of local wood (the wood is
probably several times the value of the lathe) and a nova chuck which
cost more than the lathe.

I think a new lathe is in my future. I just wish they did not cost so much.

Peter Teubel wrote:

A good tool rest shouldn't break under ANY wood turning curcumstances...regardless of the severity of the catch. Just get a GOOD
tool rest and you'll be back in business. Personally, I replaced my THREE broken Jet tool rests (and banjo) with a Oneway banjo &
tool rest. Best investment I ever made in that lathe. It actually makes it pleasurable to turn on it again.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 02:15:41 GMT, william kossack wrote:

I had planned on driving down to woodcraft to look at their lathes one
more time today but I got wrapped up doing some chores and working on a
maple chair I've been making.

Caught my next door neighbor as he came home today. I had to return
something so I took it over. During our conversation mentioned the break.

The update is he offered to fix the rest. He has a body shop with guyes
that can do the welding so what the heck I let him take it. We
continued our conversation about building a lathe that we have had
before....if only I could find a head stock.

Later as I was working on dinner while my wife was finally taking down
the christmas tree. A little girl showed up at the front door. It was
the 6 year old daughter from next door bringing a harber freight catalog
for me.

william kossack wrote:

It must be a sign from above but I was working on a chunk of wood
trying to round it after doing the best I could with a saw when snap!
and the tool rest for my grizzly 8691 lathe broke off. The cast iron
just snapped.

I cleaned up and then slathered the wood with green cut (no sense in
trying to bag it because it will be a while before I either get a
replacement or buy an new lathe) and pulled the lathe into the garage.

I guess I have to get serious now about if I should replace the tool
rest or buy a new lathe all together. I've been looking at nova but
feel an ouch each time I see the price. Then again anything that
turns slow enough for starting bowls is really the same price as the
nova. I'll have to have a talk with my swmbo tonight

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com