william kossack

Default I'm done turning for a while

I've looked at some of the mini lathes and other midi lathes but one of
my goals is to get into larger
turnings....shoot my brother asked for something along the line of 12
inches after I gave his wife
a little bowl in a customer made box (he got a really nice wooden box
also).

Barry N. Turner wrote:

Guess what? I have never bolted mine down either. The Jet Mini is an
exceptional lathe, especially for the money. Its on sale right now for
$199. I gave $349 for mine and consider it one of the world's greatest
values.

Barry

"Chuck" wrote in message

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:55:21 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

I do have about 80 pounds of counterweight on the bottom of the lathe

stand,

to lower the center of gravity and make it less tippy, but it doesn't

feel

like it needs anything more.

Ah,...I don't even have mine fastened to the top of the bench! But, I
do try to get it halfway balanced before I set it to spinning at
500rpm though.

The only bad thing IMHO about this lathe is that I will never be happy

with

a full-sized lathe that isn't up to the same level of quality, and that
means something spendy.

I hear you there, brother. I've been stuck turning on my mini for
over 2 years now...my sales unfortunately won't cover the cost of the
Stubby I've got my eye on, and I don't think I could settle for a
Grizzly.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com