Victor Radin

Default soap treating of wood

In article , says...
so you submerge it? or can i just coat it on the lathe. Wouldn't you need
to apply it at the end instead then if it only goes a few cells deep?(on the
http://www.ronkent.com/rontech.html site he says it conditions the wood and
makes it even better to turn, but woulnt that only last a little while(the
first few cuts) I'm confused as usual:-/

Yes, just submerge the wood in a tub of solution. I have a small
quantity of cherry soaking for the last few weeks- some partly turned,
some log blanks. Take it out of the tub, wipe it off, mount and turn. If
you need to stop and return to the piece later, just dump it back into
the tub. Once finished, you can dry in a bag, bucket, or your mom's
microwave (don't let her catch you). It seems to work so far- this is my
first time with soap, but I've used PEG in the past, and that was
pretty much the same treatment IIRC.

*PEG- Poly Ethylene Glycol. Toxic, oily, dangerous to house pets, toxic,
somewhat expensive, did I mention that it's TOXIC? However, it works
wonders for stabilizing fresh cut woods to avoid checking and splitting.

vic