Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default OT Working with Asphalt

stryped wrote:
On Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:38:57 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
stryped wrote:

The problem is my blacktop is not level. I am not sure how you
eould pour separate slabs and get both dlabs even with each
other.

Actually both. It is mainly just myself. Although if needed I could
get my dad to help. He is older and can only do so much.

I would have to rent most of the tools.

OK how big an area? Got any friends?

Those numbers can dictate how large a pour you can do at once.

I have poured a 24' X 30' X 6" with just 2 helpers. Not fun but it got done.

To remove the old asphalt I would rent a wet concrete saw. Then cut a
two square foot (or so) grid through the asphalt, from end to end and
side to side. Now visit a box store or HF and buy a BIG pry bar like
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-p...bar-95971.html
and a tamper like
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-x-...per-69891.html

That will allow you to remove the current stuff in easily handled
sections. Buy the boards for the forms and screeds in the slab thickness
you want. Rough cut works great, if you use normal dimensional lumber
watch your calculations and dimensions when you lay out the forms. 2X4
being 3.5 inches means you need to leave a 1/2 inch space under it for a
4" stab.

Get your re-bar and steel grid sheet. Rent the tools you need.

Dig out the asphalt in the size you want to work with, Place your forms
where you want them. Rake,fill,tamp the area as needed to make a nice
even thickness slab. Set in the reinforcement. To key the slabs I
usually use a simple method. On the form I use on the edge to be keyed I
will add a rib like this
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...on-joints.html

BUT I also drill holes through the rib for re-bar to come through so
that the bar stabilizes the joint. By removing the asphalt in sections
as you work you still have a usable surface. Once the edge that is keyed
is done you could backfill the hole until you want to pour the next section.

OR if you can get a few friends together you could likely pour the
entire thing in one shot. Then it's done.

--
Steve W.