Barry N. Turner

Default I'm done turning for a while

I agree. You can undoubtedly find a better lathe............but its gonna
cost ya.................Barry

"Silvan" wrote in message
Chuck wrote:

No refutation of what you are saying, Barry, but I can tell you this,
with my Jet mini, those dimensions do describe the working capacity
of the lathe. I've never been able to put a piece of wood on there
that it wouldn't turn, and the only thing that has ever broken, (and
believe me, I've had the MOTHER of all catches before) has been the
set screw knob for the quill, which I replaced with a plain piece of
1/4-20 threaded rod with a knob. Quality is a factor, IMO.

I was thinking just the same, actually. I'm still a very new turner, and

really seriously suck at this, but I haven't been able to faze that stout
little sucker with any of my many mishaps.

I don't have a chainsaw or bandsaw, so the most reasonable way I have to
true something up is to stick it on the lathe and whack at it until it's
round. I haven't lost anything since that first day. It can spin
incredibly out of balance hunks of wood while vibrating many times less
than my bench grinder.

I do have about 80 pounds of counterweight on the bottom of the lathe

stand,
to lower the center of gravity and make it less tippy, but it doesn't feel
like it needs anything more.

The only bad thing IMHO about this lathe is that I will never be happy

with
a full-sized lathe that isn't up to the same level of quality, and that
means something spendy.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/