Barry N. Turner

Default I'm done turning for a while

I haven't broken any tool rests yet, but I've had some spectacular catches.
World class, actually.

Barry

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message

. ..

However; just because a piece of wood will fit between the centers and

spin
without bumping the bed doesn't mean the lathe can actually handle that

size
blank. Listen to your lathe. It will tell you when you are pushing the
limits by excessive vibrations or its making strange noises. When it is
apparent that you are exceeding your lathes' limits........use slower

speeds
and lighter cuts.........switch to a smaller blank........or get a

heavier
lathe.

Barry

So true... the problem is that some manufacturerers make lathes that
look like they are indestructible. And many of us didn't/don't know
enough to know the difference. Unfortunately for every one of us that
discovers great lists like this, there must be 1000's out there that
buy blind.

Even after reading books,until I began taking classes I didn't
understand what a light cut was. I thought I was taking light cuts but
because I was holding the tools wrong they wouldn't cut properly, so I
would increase pressure, etc., etc. Some of the catches I had
probably would have destroyed a Nova or One-Way!

So you give good advice. I hope all the other newbies like me listen.

Earl