George

Default I'm done turning for a while

Grizz tools the school bought with a grant have all suffered from poorly
annealed castings. They break, and the crystal size is enormous, where
fine is considered best. Company is willing to send spares, but they
usually have to be flattened, cleaned of flashing, or some compensation made
for their own poor beginnings.

"AHilton" wrote in message
Same thing happened, twice, to my Grizzly lathe a few years ago. Once was
the toolrest and the other time was the banjo. I've had many many things
break, strip, and breakdown with that lathe. Just poor quality. I see

this
same type of problem across their entire line of lathes all the time.

It's
not just an isolated problem and is the reason I can never recommend a
Grizzly lathe until they change their quality and some design issues.

Don't bother with this lathe anymore. Use it as a buffing, sanding

station
or some other light-duty tool.

- Andrew

"william kossack" wrote in message
It must be a sign from above but I was working on a chunk of wood trying
to round it after doing the best I could with a saw when snap! and the
tool rest for my grizzly 8691 lathe broke off. The cast iron just

snapped.

I cleaned up and then slathered the wood with green cut (no sense in
trying to bag it because it will be a while before I either get a
replacement or buy an new lathe) and pulled the lathe into the garage.

I guess I have to get serious now about if I should replace the tool
rest or buy a new lathe all together. I've been looking at nova but
feel an ouch each time I see the price. Then again anything that turns
slow enough for starting bowls is really the same price as the nova.
I'll have to have a talk with my swmbo tonight