william kossack

Default I'm done turning for a while

Understood but I was turning slow (shoot maybe 100 rpm) with light cuts
as I was trying to round it. The problem with tthe grizzly is that you
have to take light cuts because the motor is so weak. The stand is also
so light that any amount of speed with an unballanced object makes the
entire thing shake and try and dance. I've used this lathe for about a
year and a half and turned a couple pieces each month that I've had it
except when Grizzly had the headstock for 2 months to replace the motor.

One of the reasons I've been looking at the Nova is that the Jet and
Delta lathes in the $5-800 range turn too fast for turning unballanced
pieces of wood. It seems that you have to go to a lathe around the
cost of the NOVA DVR to get a slow enough turning speed.

I try my best to trim and shape a blank with either my little electric
chain saw or my bandsaw but there is always something left so it is not
perfectly round. I would typically work for an hour or more rounding
out the chunck before increasing the speed and starting to have fun with
it. All the time watching how much of a bight I'm taking because the
Grizzly would bolg down too easily

Barry N. Turner wrote:

When you think about it tool rests are subjected to tremendous loads when a
heavy blank is mounted on a lathe and heavy cuts are being made.

I think it is important that we not try to use our lathes beyond their
working capacity. This "working capacity" is not always so easy to
determine.

However; just because a piece of wood will fit between the centers and spin
without bumping the bed doesn't mean the lathe can actually handle that size
blank. Listen to your lathe. It will tell you when you are pushing the
limits by excessive vibrations or its making strange noises. When it is
apparent that you are exceeding your lathes' limits........use slower speeds
and lighter cuts.........switch to a smaller blank........or get a heavier
lathe.

Barry

"william kossack" wrote in message

It must be a sign from above but I was working on a chunk of wood trying
to round it after doing the best I could with a saw when snap! and the
tool rest for my grizzly 8691 lathe broke off. The cast iron just

snapped.

I cleaned up and then slathered the wood with green cut (no sense in
trying to bag it because it will be a while before I either get a
replacement or buy an new lathe) and pulled the lathe into the garage.

I guess I have to get serious now about if I should replace the tool
rest or buy a new lathe all together. I've been looking at nova but
feel an ouch each time I see the price. Then again anything that turns
slow enough for starting bowls is really the same price as the nova.
I'll have to have a talk with my swmbo tonight