Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default OT. Personal dilemma

On 8/21/2014 10:51 AM, wrote:
On 2014-08-21,
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:51:47 -0500, amdx wrote:

I dug myself a hole, now I want out.

My mother died 2-1/2 years ago and left her

house to myself and my sister. My sister was living

there taking care of mom for about six months. Now sis and her

girlfriend are living in the house. Both in their middle 50s.

Since she was helping mom, sis's name was on the bank account.

The cash assets left were about $20k in a bank account with sis's name

on it. And about $20k is what I gave mom to live on over the later

years. When I ask her to send me half (basically my own money) she

said, she needed it to fix the house. The lawyer said her name is on the

account, it is her money. Now 2-1/2 years later, the money has been

spent. The house has no repairs.

I would like her to have the house, (It is all she has except debt)

but I am reluctant to give her a contract, because I don't think she

will pay me, the first time money is tight. (money is always tight for

her). The latest, she is trying to get here finances straightened out so

she can get a mortgage.

She works about 30 hrs a week, and I doubt she will get a mortgage, I

think this will just delay a sale until next summer rolls around.

Property is in the north, not many sales in the winter.

I'm looking for options.

She has a 50% equity in a $45,000 house. Any thoughts how to extricate

myself from this with some money.

I could make a contract, what clauses could I put in so I could get them

out if they didn't make payments or maybe subtract all delayed payments

from her share at the sale. (not what I want)

I just want out with as close to $20k as possible.

Greetings Mike,

If she was my sister, and I loved her, I would forgive any debt and

just let her have the house. Do you need the $20,000? If you don't

need the money, and it seems like maybe you don't because you got

along without it for several years, then just let her have it. I know

it's not fair to you, but you will probably feel better about it in

the long run. Send her a card that says Merry Christmas! or Happy

Birthday !or whatever and tell her that she is now obligation free

when it comes to you.

This is very wise thinking indeed.

Well no, not even that. You see, there are probably only factory and construction workers in this group (so you'll doubt the advice, here).
This whole question should have been asked in one of the legal discussion groups, like alt.lawyers or misc.legal

Hey, thanks for those groups, I'll look into those.
Although, just spouting here has eased my mind, a little.
Mikek

---