Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default OT Working with Asphalt

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 05:35:23 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I have an asphalt driveway that has always looked horrible. It was put in when

I built the house in 1998. It is uneven, has cracks, crators, etc.

I have an aspalt batch plant 13 miles away where I can purchase hot mix,

loaded in my trailer for 70 bucks a ton. My idea would be to "skim
coat" the driveway with the small aggregate hot batch.

Obviously, I don't have on eof those several ton rollers that the highway

department has. The only thing I have is a concrete roller I made for
my yard. (I took one of those concrete form tubes, filled it in
concrete with a bar through the center as an axle, and made an angle
iron fram to push it with the lawnmower.

I am assuming this would not be adequate. Would renting a vibratory

compactor work? Will the hot asphalt "stick" to it just creating a
mess?

you need water to keep it from sticking. I have not really fiqured
out the secret.

I was worried about keeping the hot mix hot while traveling 13 miles.

The guy at the plant said it would be no problem. Is this true? Is
there some way to ensure the stuff stays hot short of purchasing
expensive equipment?

It will stay hot. I had a driveway done and the mix sat in the truck
for about 2 hours while they got every thing ready.

I don't have the money to pay someone to tear the driveway out and

start over and to be honest, contractors for the most part in my neck
of the woods are not known for very good work or being reliable. (not
all but most I have ran into)

Join Angies list. $10.00/yr.

I appreciate any help as I have not worked with asphault. My idea

is to haul it home, shovel it on the driveway, use a rake to spread it
out evenly and then compact it.

Is this going to look stupid?????

If you haul one ton at a time you will end up with a bunch of small
patches. and you will see it looks like a patchwork quilt.

Blacktop has very little strength, under 2" thick it likes to peel up
in sheets. at the very least you will need to tar coat the driveway
to help it stick.

Concrete is more of a DIY project you can do a section at a time to
control cost. 6" thick and it will outlast your kids. unless your
driveway gets truck traffic.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---