Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default 3D Printing

On 2014-08-14, Dave M wrote:
I'm starting to get interested in 3D printing. My primary purpose would be
to make parts for obsolete equipment, and other parts that are no longer
available. These parts often have imbedded metal parts, such as a metal
ferrule inside a knob, or an imbedded nut or mounting tab.
Can 3D printers make such parts?

No, but you can make two parts that interlock to capture the metal, or
design for the metal being a press-fit.

Another approach is to make a plaster mould and cast it. You have to
make some jig to hold the metal part where you want it while the
material cures, but that isn't a fundamental problem in most cases.

Devcon polyurethane is a good material for this.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Hobby stores have cool plastic casting supplies.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation