Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default Sharpen a knife with a cup

On Friday, August 15, 2014 6:09:06 AM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Your description of your steel is exactly what a steel is. As for
using one to sharpen a knife? Faster to use a stone and do it right
then 'steel' it.

Really? I've found that 30 seconds with a steel does wonders. I watched a
butcher once use a steel on the hosts knife at a party, then use it to slice the
hairs off the back of his hand. I haven't figured out the trick for that.

That is what is known as HONING which is done after you sharpen a knife. Same as using a razor strop on a straight edge razor.

Yes, it will bring an edge back even on a somewhat dull knife but it will take longer to get it "scary sharp". Right tool for the right job and all that.

Harry K