Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Don Y[_2_] Don Y[_2_] is offline

Default Securing TE to the bench?

Hi Andrew,

On 8/15/2014 7:23 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
(greenaum) writes:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 01:56:35 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
sprachen:

A lot of test equipment products have the "port" for the standard
notebook security cable (I think Kingston originated it, but there are
plenty of knock-offs floating aboot).

Ah, you mean "Kensington". A brand-name that's become a standard.

They look very feeble to me. I never tried yanking on one to
destruction, but I find it hard to believe it wouldn't simply
snap the T-piece off the lock.

It doesn't even take that sort of effort! Most of the "locking devices"
that fit into the Kensington "slot" are very insecure -- easily "picked"
with a metal shim, etc.

Plastic cases with Kensington slots usually have a thin piece of
sheet metal on the inside to reinforce the "slot". But, it's still
relatively easy to grind away the plastic *and* that thin bit of sheet
metal (assuming the vendor hasn't decided to save a few micropennies
by eliminating it -- "locks keep honest people honest").

The laptop I fixed two days ago had an aluminum (?) case. It would have
taken all of 60 seconds to grind *around* the slot with a Dremel
(TmReg) and a small diameter "ball" milling tip. And, once free, clean
up the hole with the same tip. You could then LEAVE the clean hole
in place without fear of exposing the innards of the device as there is
usually an inner barrier to prevent the lock bits from infiltrating the
case!

Sun Microsystem's desktop kit used to have a small (1cm) cube
of metal on the back with two holes drilled through the center.

Actually, more of a prism than cube. A hole drilled "left to right"
(or top to bottom, depending on orientation) through it. Then,
another *recess* (square hole) cast into the piece normal to this
into which the fastening screw is placed and secured to the case.

One hole allowed you to screw the cube to the rear case (the
back of the hole was a smaller diameter to be clamped by the
screwhead). The other hole allowed you to pass a steel cable
through the cube, which when fitted, covered the screwhead so
you can't unscrew the block. I think the block fitted in a
slight recess in the case so you couldn't twist the block
itself to try and unscrew it (a locknut would do the same
if there was no matching recess).

As there is typically a plastic "skin" over an internal metal
structure (which receives the screw's threads), unless the
lock block is secured *well* (i.e., screwed down TIGHT), the
slop between the plastic case and inner metal frame is often
enough (with inward pressure) to allow you to rotate the block.
Of course, no guarantee that the screw head will rotate *with*
the block -- you could end up just spinning the block 'round
and 'round (with cable in the way while you are doing this!).

But, as with the Kensington approach, a Dremel can easily
grind through the little bit of metal "above" the cable to turn
the hole into a *slot* -- from which the cable can readily be
extracted. The locking block can then be removed and discarded
(if you don't want to be reminded of your transgression). Or,
replaced with another "borrowed" from another piece of kit
(the block and screw aren't typically needed to hold the case
closed; their function is largely anti-theft).

Locks keep honest people honest. As the OP still hasn't indicated
the level of threat that is faced (and attacker's motivation),
all this is just speculation.