Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Sharpen a knife with a cup

On 8/14/2014 1:48 PM, KenK wrote:
Pavel314 wrote in
:

Our local fine wine shoppe started advertising recently that a
sharpener would be at the store every Thursday evening to sharpen
whatever you needed sharpened; knives, chisels, etc.

When I was a kid in Chicago in the late 30s & 40s IIRC we had a guy with
a cart come around through the alley yelling his wares and he would
sharpen stuff.

When I was a kid in the early 1950's there was a guy who came through
my grandmother's neighborhood buying scrap material for resale, crying
"Paper! Rags!" He was known as the pepper-X man from his accented
call. My grandfather used to save newspapers and tinfoil from his
cigarette packs to sell to him.

I think we had one of those too. And an iceman who came down the street
filling ice boxes. We had a little sign in the window that, depending on
which side was up, told him how much. I think his name was Tony. And some
other venders I can't remember details of.

A far different world from today!

And, as he pedaled this cart, there was a distinctive ding (hi) ding
(lower) bells ringing. Everyone knew that the sharpener guy was around.
I lived in Cicero!