Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default 3D Printing

Though The Motley Fool feels otherwise, I don't think 3D printing will have
the success //among consumers// people are predicting. At the moment, it's
basically a "toy" product -- and will probably remain so for at least a
decade. HP has been wise not to rush into the market.

What I'd like to see is a system of "manufacturing on demand", especially if
were possible to improve on the item being replaced. For example...

I have two classic Sony radios, the TFM-825 and TFM-117WB, whose paper-cone
speakers were okay-sounding 50 years ago, but would sound a lot better with
plastic or plastic-doped cones. Wouldn't it be nice if I could order a
"modern" version for $10 or $20? (Ditto for the classic KLH full-range
driver.)

This is difficult, though not impossible. The problem isn't //making// the
speaker so much as it is //analyzing// existing samples so the printer can
duplicate the frame, the cone, etc. The cost for a single copy would be beyond
unreasonable.