Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default 3D Printing

On 14/08/2014 19:51, Dave M wrote:
I'm starting to get interested in 3D printing. My primary purpose would be
to make parts for obsolete equipment, and other parts that are no longer
available. These parts often have imbedded metal parts, such as a metal
ferrule inside a knob, or an imbedded nut or mounting tab.
Can 3D printers make such parts? If so, is any additional equipment or
unique model of 3D printers required?

Monoprice has a model that appears to be a clone of a Makerbot printer at
about half the price. Reviews seem to indicate that it is an excellent
printer, although not perfect. I guess that 3D printers are relatively new
on the scene, and will improve in time.

Thanks for any insight,
Dave M

From what I've seen demonstrated , the plastic used is seriously non
structural, no strength. You would have much stronger structural parts
using expanded metal buried along with bushes etc in epoxy, taking a
mould off the original part. Probably take about the same amount of time
as a 3D printer as well.