Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default What to lubricate a garage door rail with

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:23:18 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

I'd not use lithium grease, motor oil OR spray the rails, Those will
attract dirt and dust. (desert climate)

What I do is use CRC silicone spray, only spray the roller bearings
and hinges on the door panel hinges. It cuts the noise, reduces
friction, etc. considerably.

Less is more. Once a year, twice if it get noisy in summer.

YMMV

Hi,
Mil-spec Lithium is good for extreme cold of hot temp. Sparingly is
keyword. If screw shaft is not lubed, it gets noisy. I am a fan of
screw drive.