Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to lubricate a garage door rail with

Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

Hi,
I have Genie screw drive opener. I sparingly spray white lithium grease
including track rollers, hinges. I also rub the springs with 30 weight
oil soaked rag some times. This is to prevent dry metal to metal rubbing
between spring coils. After 20 years one spring broke and original screw
drive opener was shot. I installed new set of springs, a replacement
screw drive opener again(This one has DC motor), and cables myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:23:18 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

I'd not use lithium grease, motor oil OR spray the rails, Those will
attract dirt and dust. (desert climate)

What I do is use CRC silicone spray, only spray the roller bearings
and hinges on the door panel hinges. It cuts the noise, reduces
friction, etc. considerably.

Less is more. Once a year, twice if it get noisy in summer.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Since you wrote about dry metal to metal rubbing between spring coils I
expect yours are torsion springs.

But if they are not, and the springs are extension springs I hope you
have a safety cable running through each spring. If a tension spring
breaks and flails around it can cause a serious injury if someone
happens to be standing in the wrong place.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

I'd not use lithium grease, motor oil OR spray the rails, Those will
attract dirt and dust. (desert climate)

What I do is use CRC silicone spray, only spray the roller bearings
and hinges on the door panel hinges. It cuts the noise, reduces
friction, etc. considerably.

Less is more. Once a year, twice if it get noisy in summer.

YMMV

Hi,
Mil-spec Lithium is good for extreme cold of hot temp. Sparingly is
keyword. If screw shaft is not lubed, it gets noisy. I am a fan of
screw drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message ...

Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

I use "Blaster Garage Door Lubricant. Get It at Home Depot. I have an
insulated 7 foot by 18 foot door. Works great. Going on 18 years. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2014 4:23 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

I was in a Home Depot a couple months ago. One of
the end caps had WD, and some "garage door lube".
Some time after that, some friends said they had
some garage door work, and the company sold em a
spray can of something, for the purpose.

I'd open the yellow pages and call garage door
places. They likely have a ten dollar can of
something you can buy.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2014 9:08 PM, WW wrote:

I use "Blaster Garage Door Lubricant. Get It at Home Depot. I have an
insulated 7 foot by 18 foot door. Works great. Going on 18 years. WW

Read this after my post about Home Cheepo.
Glad I'm not the only person who noticed
the GD Lube at the Home De Pot.

Now, hope the GD thing doesn't break!

--
..