Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default What to lubricate a garage door rail with

Rebel1 wrote:
Such a simple question, so much conflicting answers on the web.

Lithium grease? Lithium spray? Motor oil? Silicon spray? About the only
point of agreement is not to use WD-40.

One door is a Genie with a threaded rod drive. The other is a Craftsman
with a chain drive. What to lube the threads on the Genie with and what
to lube the rails that the trolly slides along?

Thanks,

Ray

Hi,
I have Genie screw drive opener. I sparingly spray white lithium grease
including track rollers, hinges. I also rub the springs with 30 weight
oil soaked rag some times. This is to prevent dry metal to metal rubbing
between spring coils. After 20 years one spring broke and original screw
drive opener was shot. I installed new set of springs, a replacement
screw drive opener again(This one has DC motor), and cables myself.