Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Need adapter USB to PATA laptop hard drive adapter.

On 8/6/2014 5:59 PM, David Farber wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:05:47 PM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:

I ordered the kit with the external power supply and the multiple
adapters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250999094

As I think about it, I am convinced that I got exactly this set from
the same vendor (acturally, more than once). The first time, I
mistakenly thought they had forgotten to include the SATA data cable
(the middle top, red with rectangular black connectors on both ends).
I overloloked the flat black cable withe the SATA data connectors.
The cable was red (I think this is the "standard" color) in the most
recent set.

I received the kit yesterday. The USB port is the only source of power for
the PATA drive. If you have a SATA drive or the older type ATA drive with
the big power connector, then you can use the external power supply that
comes with the kit. Anyway, my PATA drive worked fine with the USB adapter.

I had a similar problem.
I fixed it with a jumper that lets me get the power from the usb
or the external power supply.