Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LED Shop Lights

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 23:29:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Monday, August 4, 2014 3:00:14 PM UTC-7, Tim Wescott wrote:

I've got a high-bay shop with about a dozen 8' florescent fixtures, only
a few of which work. I'm thinking of replacing them one-by-one with
these things, whenever the planets align and I'm extra flush with cash:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...-LED-High-Bay-
Light-IBH-11L-MV/203812710

It isn't clear that the electrical connections (8foot fluorescents use
240VAC) are compatible, from home depot's laughable "specifications".

277 volts actually. They often WILL run on 240..but not always.

With modern electronic ballasts, fluorescent is still quite efficient. Heck,
most of white LED light is fluorescence, as well (not the spike in the blue).
At end-of-life (six years?) the LEDs are expected to be dimmer, and
that means zero efficiency improvement instead of '31%'. Relamping
is a nuisance of the fluorescents that you'll have to judge for yourself.

Replace any old non-electronic ballasts, and try a fresh batch of tubes.
There's plenty of time to switch to LED when its price stops dropping
and reliability has some engineering experience to back it up.

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."