Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BobH[_5_] BobH[_5_] is offline

Default LED Shop Lights

On 8/4/2014 5:43 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 17:30:34 -0700, BobH wrote:

On 8/4/2014 3:00 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Anyone used 'em?

I've got a high-bay shop with about a dozen 8' florescent fixtures,
only a few of which work. I'm thinking of replacing them one-by-one
with these things, whenever the planets align and I'm extra flush with
cash:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...-LED-High-Bay-
Light-IBH-11L-MV/203812710

The alternatives are to buy a bunch of ballasts and continue to mess
with fluorescents (and tubes that are now considered toxic waste,
omigod), or mount light sockets onto 2x6's and put in screw-in LED
bulbs (which is about $50 per fixture cheaper for the same light, but
labor-intensive).

I have been using the 2 tube 48" fluorescents, and replaced a couple
with similar sized LED fixtures. The light level seems about the same,
but it has been so hot in the shop, that I have not been out to do any
machine work, so I am waiting to see how it goes with things like
strobing. They are really expensive at about $70 a fixture from the
bigbox hardware store.

I figure the payback will come if I never have to replace a tube or
ballast ever again.

Yes, that is my take on it as well. For some reason, fluorescent lamps
in one corner of my shop seem to last about 6 months. I replaced the
fixture and the life did not change. Hoping the LED's do better.

BobH