Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LED Shop Lights

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 17:33:45 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Anyone used 'em?

I've got a high-bay shop with about a dozen 8' florescent fixtures, only
a few of which work. I'm thinking of replacing them one-by-one with
these things, whenever the planets align and I'm extra flush with cash:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...-LED-High-Bay-
Light-IBH-11L-MV/203812710

The alternatives are to buy a bunch of ballasts and continue to mess with
fluorescents (and tubes that are now considered toxic waste, omigod), or
mount light sockets onto 2x6's and put in screw-in LED bulbs (which is
about $50 per fixture cheaper for the same light, but labor-intensive).

I've recently had good results with the 65W CFL floodlight fixtures that
'Depot sells. Mounted at 18' on opposing sides of a 50'x50' area in a
metal building (white insulation facing) just four of them provide good
overall illumination for general work. Eight of them would be really
good. They are only $50 and include the lamp.

I installed (1 acre back yard) one of those for a client and they
loved it. I think I'd prefer to go with LED nowadays, though.
The CRI is only 78 on the Lithonia above, but it's a 4000K light, so
it's more toward the real white color that I love. I still see the
yellow with metal halides. Don't get me started with ****-yellow warm
white bulbs... g

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to