Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interchangeable parts?

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:0audnVJixJSllX3OnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in
message newsJidnZsPcu4sJELOnZ2dnUVZ_oydnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Suggest next time feel the cables and connectors first, when this
happens usually something gets hot.

When something electrical malfunctions my experience-conditioned
reflex is to mentally photograph the symptoms and then quickly
shut
off before something gets hot enough that the expensive magic
smoke
billows out. I use the IR thermometer or as a last resort my hand
to chase less dire emergencies.

Mostly just giving you a reminder but yeah, it's easier said than
done, especially if you don't have a helper.

Another experience-conditioned reflex is not touching bare
electrical
connections without stopping to think. Other than home stuff the
last
live vehicle battery I worked on was for a 300V electric car.

That's what the helper is for....

================================
My potential helper came over looking for some replacement stainless
nuts while I had the terminals off the battery, leaned on the fender
and nearly shorted the exposed posts with the Vise-Grips he was
holding to tighten the nuts. I often have to start small engines for
him. He definitely has his skills but they don't include machinery,
electricity or plumbing.

He volunteered to help reshingle my roof and taught me how to handle
the Bituthene and keep the rows straight and the spacing even.

Especially with electricity the less I have to explain the more I get
done.
-jsw