Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Interchangeable parts?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:IZGdnULFVopIgULOnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

The other day my truck had a no-start problem that turned out to be a
poor cable connection at the battery clamp that I'd missed during an
otherwise thorough spring electrical cleanup. I found it -after- I had
removed, disassembled and thoroughly checked the starter.

The corrosion hidden inside the cable clamp still allowed about 30 - 40
Amps, not enough to spin the starter motor with the Bendix engaged but
the voltages were correct everywhere that was easily accessible, the
solenoid clicked and the battery dropped to 11.5V.

Suggest next time feel the cables and connectors first, when this happens
usually something gets hot.

When something electrical malfunctions my experience-conditioned reflex is
to mentally photograph the symptoms and then quickly shut off before
something gets hot enough that the expensive magic smoke billows out. I
use the IR thermometer or as a last resort my hand to chase less dire
emergencies.

Mostly just giving you a reminder but yeah, it's easier said than done,
especially if you don't have a helper.

I did jump the relay with a screwdriver and heard the starter click but
not chatter, the usual indication of insufficient current from the (12
year old) battery. Mostly I checked meters set up on the cowl to show
voltages and current while I turned the key. Seeing up to 40A in

480 watts give or take, were it your lucky day, you'd have heard something
sizzling.

the cable to the starter and still 11.5V at the clamps mislead me. In the
spring I had thoroughly cleaned, labelled and Ox-Garded all engine
compartment electrical connections (except this one).

I'd already rebuilt the starter once with new brushes and kinda suspected
the solenoid contacts, which had eroded away on my Accord and been built
up several times with brazing rod . The factory manual gives 75A for the
no-load starter current but doesn't break out how much of that the
solenoid coil draws.
-jsw