Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interchangeable parts?

"dpb" wrote in message
On 08/03/2014 11:56 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message

I don't know the specific part, but if it doesn't fit a standard
automotive battery terminal post, it probably wasn't intended to
but
is for another application.

The label reads "For post terminal batteries", without specifying
positive or negative.

Do you know of another similar application? Marine battery
terninals
fit both automotive and deep-cycle batteries.

I think they made it halfway between the positive and negative post
sizes so one part can be tweaked to fit either, but the brass
doesn't
bend as easily with hand tools as a lead alloy terminal. I pounded
tapered mandrel into it to keep the hole round.

Autozone carries two or three quality/price/warranty levels,
whatever
that means when everything comes from China. I don't touch the
patch-it-to-sell-it level.

Specific application, no, but doesn't seem to make any sense if it's
too large for the smaller standard post it doesn't work for
either...

Since I needed to expand it for the positive post I didn't first try
compressing it to see if it would grab the negative post before the
ends closed together. Probably it would, there wasn't much play.

Anyway, it's a contemporary example of a consumer replacement part
that requires hand fitting.
-jsw