Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default MIG Welding Basics

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:30:43 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
On Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:07:10 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

And (wouldn't you just know this would come up now) while I've worked on

some amazing cars and bikes (Daytona winning, no less), I haven't turned

wrenches professionally in over 35 years. So, it is ironically quite

possible that I HAVE forgotten more about mechanics than Jon will ever know.

Did you know Ray Walle, who won the Touring class in 1976 in a Mazda, and

then drove the car back home to Princeton, NJ?

No, the Daytona thing was on Superbikes with Ken Augustine, Steve
McLaughlin, Reg Pridmore and Butler & Smith, The BMW importer. Very
cool, state of the art stuff back then, but wouldn't hold a candle to
the crotch rockets on the showroom floor today. Steve & Reg finished
1st & 2nd in a photo finish. We had a third bike (and I can't remember
the name of the driver) that was actually running faster, but he was
hit in the shifter, popped into neutral and blew a rod.

We did, a couple of times, bolt licence plates on these puppies and
tear up Rockland County and the Palisades Interstate Parkway. What a blast!

http://goo.gl/Qm8Kn5

Looking at gaps along side of the road and distances of how far down it is to the Hudson like around the Palisades and between there and Poughkeepsie and those bridges around there - whew !! Its a mighty far distance down !!

I'd be scared to hit pedal to metal around those parts. NJ just doesn't seem to have enough room for all of that high speed racing. I've never any of it, really !!