Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Need adapter USB to PATA laptop hard drive adapter.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

David Farber wrote:

I have a Vaio PCG-K23 laptop. The hard drive uses a parallel ATA
interface.
The laptop will not boot. I need to transfer the files on the hard drive
my desktop pc so I can back them up before I try to replace the hard
drive.
Presently, I use this kind of adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PATA-IDE...-/191261117857
to transfer the files. It works but it's inconvenient to use as it must
be
hooked up internally to the IDE ribbon cables and power plugs. I found
this
package
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-ID...-/161150149509
which I think will work. However I'm not sure if just plugging in the 44
pin
connector to the hard drive will supply power to the unit. I've tried
using
the ask a question link on eBay but something is getting lost in the
translation. Can someone please advise me if the set of cords and
adapters
listed in this package is enough to get the PATA drive powered up and
working?

Spend a couple dollars more and get the AC power supply. I use this
style, which works wit 2.5", 3.5" PATA or any SATA drive. One thing that
may cause you problems: Some PATA drives exceed the current available
from a USB port. I use an external drive housing with a power supply for
those. You can buy a USB cable with two connectors for the computer end,
to get more current.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150505362908

For the later PATA drives, the USB adapter cable will work fine.

You didn't give a model number for the hard drive. Do a search for
it's specs. USB2 ports will supply up to 1A.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

The hard drive is a Samsung HM160HC. The specs say 2.1 watts for typical
seek. 900mA for maximum spin-up current. Was you link above supposed to show
two USB connectors on one cable? I didn't see that.

My other question was is there any point in having the external AC power
supply that comes with the kit for a PATA drive? I can't see any way to
connect it to the drive once the drive is hooked up to the 44 pin adapter.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA