Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Need adapter USB to PATA laptop hard drive adapter.

"David Farber" wrote in message ...

I have a Vaio PCG-K23 laptop. The hard drive uses a parallel ATA interface.
The laptop will not boot. I need to transfer the files on the hard drive to
my desktop pc so I can back them up before I try to replace the hard drive.
Presently, I use this kind of adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PATA-IDE...-/191261117857
to transfer the files. It works but it's inconvenient to use as it must be
hooked up internally to the IDE ribbon cables and power plugs. I found this
package
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-ID...-/161150149509
which I think will work. However I'm not sure if just plugging in the 44 pin
connector to the hard drive will supply power to the unit. I've tried using
the ask a question link on eBay but something is getting lost in the
translation. Can someone please advise me if the set of cords and adapters
listed in this package is enough to get the PATA drive powered up and
working?

Thanks for your reply.

I've used these kind of things in the past.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-IDE-AT...-/180674691132

You can get various types, PATA, SATA.
The one I have will interface with both ESATA and USB connections. And even
though they are supplied with a double USB power connection and a wall wart,
the one I have will actually power the drive from the USB data connector
alone.

Its a good way of converting any old laptop drive to an external backup
drive.

Cheers,

Gareth.