Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Any easy way to delaminate a big transformer

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:20:35 PM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
On 7/27/2014 3:50 PM, wrote:

wrote:
... authority that says high voltage is safer than ...

Senile lloyd wants to know how high voltage is safer than low. Anyway, you apparently you never took the hospital electrician's

advice of referring you to the NEC manual.

A taser is 50,000 volts. Thats high. The amperage there isn't a factor. A stun gun is 900,000 volts.

outta tell you right there that voltage isn't what harms. It's low

voltage with higher amps that is harmful.

Talk to a physicist or a doctor your own damn lazy self if you want to know what of two voltages fits your satisfaction of what's safer.

I'm rather disappointed that I have not been able to educate you about

how this all works.

Sad. You almost act like you put your money on it. Strange, huh?

I think if you could just get a good understanding

of ohms law, you would see immediately were you are mistaken.

If I was mistaken, you'd point it out immediately. Something you aren't doing. Lloyd asked a specific question that didn't involved numbers or any real parameters, so I gave an answer that technically answered his question.

You know that. That's why you didn't immediately rush to state any supposed "mistake" that I may have made.

When I got into this thread I was trying help you understand and prevent

others from getting incorrect information.

Don't you think you'd do good then by IMMEDIATELY telling us what's incorrect instead of windbagging it?

I would hate to confuse you with terms that aren't in your NEC

manual, like output impedance and current limited or short pulses or the

fact that a stun gun has electrodes that are about 2 inches apart, so

the current has little chance to go to the heart.

What's worse is perhaps the terms you list above actually are addressed in an NEC edition, but by different terminology.

Here is a page that suggests stun guns are limited to 3 ma or 4 ma and
most are limited to 1 ma to 2 milliamps.

Amperage wasn't in Lloyd's question. That's just the problem with his question. You have to pay attention, amdx.

Police tasers use darts which actually pierce the skin that reduce the

resistance of the circuit through the body so the voltage does not need

to be as high to deliver the same current as if it was on the outside of

the skin.

How do you reconcile the fact that a car battery can deliver 600 amps

but you can hold on to the terminals and survive?

I don't claim knowledge of auto electrical. I think Larry Jacques did, though. Go ask him. I don't know why DCV lead terminals can melt while you're holding them.

Answer: It's because the voltage is low, and will not cause a current

large enough to cause harm. If you raise it to say 40 or 50 volts you

might be able to start to feel it tingle. If the voltage gets much

higher, you are going to want to get loose. The bottom line is the

current is dependent on the resistance between your skin and the

electrode you touch and the voltage.

Yes and there is never an absence of resistance. Trust me. In three years of electrical and 1 year of HVAC school, you hear stuff like E=IR and P=IE

But "in my book" non-auto electricians don't normally mix with auto electricians.

These sentences might help.

The amount of current depends on the voltage and the resistance of the

circuit.

If the voltage is higher with a constant resistance more current will flow.

With a constant voltage, the current is dependent on the resistance,

with a lower resistance more current will flow, with a higher resistance

a lower current will flow.