Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Any easy way to delaminate a big transformer

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:37:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 09:26:20 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

amdx fired this volley in news:lr2s10$1rr$2@dont-

email.me:

I have a feeling that iggy is doing just fine for himself.

It pretty much seems that way to anyone who isn't jealous of him.

He usually forges ahead, but when he butts up against something

unfamiliar, he asks.

What's different about that from the way any competent tradesman works?

"Just try anything and if it doesn't work we'll try something else" is a

pretty expensive mantra (at the very least in man-hours, on a low-margin

task), especially with all the varied experiences on tap on the web.

Sometimes I hire 'experts' to solve materials handling issues (powders

and dusts, not metal). Usually, it's worth the money.

Lloyd

Way back when I was an apprentice boy I realized that while the "Old

Sweats", when they got a drawing, would sometimes wander around the

shop talking with their mates, "What do you think of this one?" and

after a bunch of discussion they'd get a piece of stock and make the

damned thing. The young lads were embarrassed to ask and sometimes

spent a day or so whittling away at something and then having to throw

the half done project in the junk pile because it couldn't be finishes

- no way to hold it in the machine.

I decided that I'd do the same as the old guys and discovered that

one can be amazingly smart when one accesses the minds of five or six

other guys :-)

Been there and I wish I had done that back then, too.