Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Load for a 5amp wall socket

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 12:55:31 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 27/07/2014 09:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I assume these are the old type sockets with no fuse?
Personally, I'd not chance it. After all where is the over current
protection if things go belly up?

In the consumer unit. If they're on the lighting circuit it's likely to
be a 5 or 6 amp radial circuit. You can still buy the BS546 plugs and
sockets, I use them for exactly the same purpose, wall mounted sockets
for table lamps or lighting under kitchen cupboards switched from the
same wall switch as the ceiling lights.

I used to have some 3 pin 5 amp plugs and sockets, which had a fuse in
them,
very little things, I don't think one can get them any more.

MK make fused and unfused round pin plugs, to meet the regs the 15A
can't be supplied with a 13A fuse, so are supplied with 5A.

http://neweysonline.co.uk/-/1050078117/ProductInformation.raction

The 5 amp socket I intend to use does have shuttering. Another quesion:
Does it matter that the light switch is also a dimmer switch (re 20watt
outdoor floodlight LED with PIR)

CR supplies used in LEDs fry rapidly on dimmer switches. Replace with a switch.

NT