Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Load for a 5amp wall socket

I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp round
pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is switched on
from a light switch located elswhere.

The round sockets were installed maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the
previous owners, I was advised by an electrician that this was an old
format of being able to switch on table lamps from a light switch rather
than the wall socket.

I have no idea which circuit they are on ie socket ring or lighting ring.

Now my question, I have recently purchased a 20 watt LED external
floodlight that comes with a 13 amp square plug, now I need to increase
the length of the cable and was looking to put a 5amp round plug on it
at the same time so I can use from the unused round pin socket.

Will this be safe to do so? With regard to Amps/wattage etc

Secondly I may purchase another 10 watt floodlamp so would it be ok to
run both from that 5 amp socket?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
[...]

5 amps is about 1200 watts, so a 20 watt load would presnt no problem. I'm
slightly puzzled as to how you are going to feed your outside light from an
indoor socket. Do you really want the light to be switched on from where
the present switch is located?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:38:22 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:

I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp round
pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is switched on
from a light switch located elswhere.
The round sockets were installed maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the
previous owners, I was advised by an electrician that this was an old
format of being able to switch on table lamps from a light switch rather
than the wall socket.

modern, not old

I have no idea which circuit they are on ie socket ring or lighting ring.

presumably lighting

Now my question, I have recently purchased a 20 watt LED external
floodlight that comes with a 13 amp square plug, now I need to increase
the length of the cable and was looking to put a 5amp round plug on it
at the same time so I can use from the unused round pin socket.
Will this be safe to do so? With regard to Amps/wattage etc
Secondly I may purchase another 10 watt floodlamp so would it be ok to
run both from that 5 amp socket?

20w @240v = 0.08A. 5A 240v = 1.2kW, so well within its ability

Someone else can moan about RCDs, but it shuld be fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:38:22 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:

I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp round
pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is switched on
from a light switch located elswhere. The round sockets were installed
maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the previous owners, I was advised
by an electrician that this was an old format of being able to switch
on table lamps from a light switch rather than the wall socket.

modern, not old

old too. It was in my parents' 1910 house.

I have no idea which circuit they are on ie socket ring or lighting
ring.

presumably lighting

Now my question, I have recently purchased a 20 watt LED external
floodlight that comes with a 13 amp square plug, now I need to increase
the length of the cable and was looking to put a 5amp round plug on it
at the same time so I can use from the unused round pin socket. Will
this be safe to do so? With regard to Amps/wattage etc Secondly I may
purchase another 10 watt floodlamp so would it be ok to run both from
that 5 amp socket?

20w @240v = 0.08A. 5A 240v = 1.2kW, so well within its ability

Someone else can moan about RCDs, but it shuld be fine.

NT

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 22:38, ss wrote:
[...]

Should be. Assuming the wiring behind the socket is correct, and there
is no reason from what you say to suspect otherwise, then the
theoretical maximum load is 1250 watts (1.25KW), say 1KW (1000 watts) to
allow for inefficiencies.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/07/2014 22:52, charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

Drill a hole through the wooden window frame and feed the cable through.
The socket and the light switch that turns it on are ideal. In fact the
floodlight is only likely to be on during winter if I have a need to
enter the garden shed and hols it wont be used often.
The floodlight does have a PIR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/07/2014 22:52, wrote:
[...]

"presumably lighting"

Knowing this house probably the electric shower circuit :-)

"modern, not old"

Ah! full circle again seemingly this was how they done it when
electricity was first introduced in to homes, so I was told.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 22:58, Old Codger wrote:
On 26/07/2014 22:38, ss wrote:

Now my question, I have recently purchased a 20 watt LED external
floodlight that comes with a 13 amp square plug, now I need to increase
the length of the cable and was looking to put a 5amp round plug on it
at the same time so I can use from the unused round pin socket.

Will this be safe to do so? With regard to Amps/wattage etc

Secondly I may purchase another 10 watt floodlamp so would it be ok to
run both from that 5 amp socket?

Should be. Assuming the wiring behind the socket is correct, and there
is no reason from what you say to suspect otherwise, then the
theoretical maximum load is 1250 watts (1.25KW), say 1KW (1000 watts) to
allow for inefficiencies.

Yes, but hang on a bit. Chances are that this socket is connected to a
lighting circuit[1].

If so, that circuit will probably be protected by a 5amp fuse or 6amp
breaker - which will limit the *total* current in the circuit. So, even
though the round-pin socket itself may be rated at 5amps, how much it
can *actually* safely deliver will depend on what else is on the
circuit. Drawing 5amps from it may well trip the circuit if there are
lots of other lights on it.

Having said that, I'd be very surprised if adding two 10watt loads would
cause any problems.

[1] The OP really needs to determine which circuit it's on - either by
tracing the wiring or by pulling all the fuses/breakers and then turning
them back on one at a time, and seeing what works and what doesn't each
time. [Every D-I-Y-er should document their electrical installation in
this way in order to know where to look when something stops working -
quite apart from knowing which fuse to pull when working on a particular
part of the system.]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I assume these are the old type sockets with no fuse?
Personally, I'd not chance it. After all where is the over current
protection if things go belly up?

I used to have some 3 pin 5 amp plugs and sockets, which had a fuse in them,
very little things, I don't think one can get them any more.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ss" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 11:05:26 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 26/07/2014 22:52, wrote:
[...]

5A round pin sockets are an ancient design, but they weren't normally run via a light switch in times past. However with few rules people could have done almost anything. Nowadays its standard practice, albeit not very popular, to put 5A skts on lighting circuits. Modern sockets must have shutters.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I assume these are the old type sockets with no fuse?
Personally, I'd not chance it. After all where is the over current
protection if things go belly up?

In the consumer unit. If they're on the lighting circuit it's likely to
be a 5 or 6 amp radial circuit. You can still buy the BS546 plugs and
sockets, I use them for exactly the same purpose, wall mounted sockets
for table lamps or lighting under kitchen cupboards switched from the
same wall switch as the ceiling lights.

I used to have some 3 pin 5 amp plugs and sockets, which had a fuse in them,
very little things, I don't think one can get them any more.

MK make fused and unfused round pin plugs, to meet the regs the 15A
can't be supplied with a 13A fuse, so are supplied with 5A.

http://neweysonline.co.uk/-/1050078117/ProductInformation.raction

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm just a bit worried about outdoor lighting being fed from a non
fused outlet.

If outside lights were wired permanently into a lighting circuit, they'd
not have an individual fuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:

[Snip]

5A round pin sockets are an ancient design, but they weren't normally run
via a light switch in times past. However with few rules people could
have done almost anything. Nowadays its standard practice, albeit not
very popular, to put 5A skts on lighting circuits. Modern sockets must
have shutters.

Certainly as a design they have been around for some time, but in India,
for example, they are the standard plug. They used to be very common in
the "wall light switch" mode, but got forgotton when 13A sockets appeared.
they are now coming back into favour.

Incidentally, the First edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations was published
in 1882.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:38:22 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:

I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp round
pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is switched on
from a light switch located elswhere. The round sockets were installed
maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the previous owners, I was advised
by an electrician that this was an old format of being able to switch
on table lamps from a light switch rather than the wall socket.

modern, not old

old too. It was in my parents' 1910 house.

Was it switched by a wall switch? Lighting sockets were common in old
properties but they seldom had remote switching.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:38:22 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:

I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp
round pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is
switched on from a light switch located elswhere. The round sockets
were installed maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the previous
owners, I was advised by an electrician that this was an old format
of being able to switch on table lamps from a light switch rather
than the wall socket.

modern, not old

old too. It was in my parents' 1910 house.

Was it switched by a wall switch? Lighting sockets were common in old
properties but they seldom had remote switching.

yes, 3 sockets with one switch by the door.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW

modern, not old

old too. It was in my parents' 1910 house.

Was it switched by a wall switch? Lighting sockets were common in old
properties but they seldom had remote switching.

yes, 3 sockets with one switch by the door.

That would have been a posh house then. The ones I have rewired usually were
just live lighting sockets with no switches.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW

modern, not old

old too. It was in my parents' 1910 house.

Was it switched by a wall switch? Lighting sockets were common in old
properties but they seldom had remote switching.

yes, 3 sockets with one switch by the door.

That would have been a posh house then. The ones I have rewired usually
were just live lighting sockets with no switches.

yes - it was in Murrayfield, Edinburgh. A posh suburb.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

Someone else can moan about RCDs, but it shuld be fine.

Only that if the lighting is RCD protected having something outside
runs the risk of when it goes leaky plunging the place into darkness.

I believe that NT meant the outside light, under the 17th edition regs may
be required to have RCD protection. In this case I do not believe that it
does not require RCD protection.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

In this case I do not believe that it does not require RCD protection.

Couldn't you not express yourself less unclearly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARW wrote:

In this case I do not believe that it does not require RCD protection.

Couldn't you not express yourself less unclearly?

In this case I do not believe that it requires RCD protection.:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
Knowing this house probably the electric shower circuit :-)

One flat I rewired I found had a socket wired in to the feed
to the immersion heater switch.

jgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 27/07/2014 09:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I assume these are the old type sockets with no fuse?
Personally, I'd not chance it. After all where is the over current
protection if things go belly up?

In the consumer unit. If they're on the lighting circuit it's likely to
be a 5 or 6 amp radial circuit. You can still buy the BS546 plugs and
sockets, I use them for exactly the same purpose, wall mounted sockets
for table lamps or lighting under kitchen cupboards switched from the
same wall switch as the ceiling lights.

I used to have some 3 pin 5 amp plugs and sockets, which had a fuse in
them,
very little things, I don't think one can get them any more.

MK make fused and unfused round pin plugs, to meet the regs the 15A
can't be supplied with a 13A fuse, so are supplied with 5A.

http://neweysonline.co.uk/-/1050078117/ProductInformation.raction

The 5 amp socket I intend to use does have shuttering. Another quesion:
Does it matter that the light switch is also a dimmer switch (re 20watt
outdoor floodlight LED with PIR)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:04:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

Nowadays its standard practice, albeit not very popular, to put

5A
skts on lighting circuits.

It's not common so I wouldn't be surprised if people swap the 5 A
round pin to 13 A socket so it can be "more useful". Leaving the

wall
switch on and not caring about which circuit it is on...

But that would not be unsafe,

Electrically but 1.2 kW isn't a big load when used to just plugging
in and using. I'd expect the average hover to trip a 6 A MCB at
switch on, thus turning the lights off.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

The 5 amp socket I intend to use does have shuttering. Another quesion:
Does it matter that the light switch is also a dimmer switch (re 20watt
outdoor floodlight LED with PIR)

It doesn't matter to the plug, socket or wiring, but unless the LED says
it's dimmable it won't run off a dimmer switch, even then you are likely
to need an LED specific dimmer, the load will be too low for most
"normal" dimmer switches.

But I doubt there are many outdoor floodlights that *are* dimmable ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

[...]

CR supplies used in LEDs fry rapidly on dimmer switches. Replace with a switch.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2014-07-27, ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARW wrote:

In this case I do not believe that it does not require RCD protection.

Couldn't you not express yourself less unclearly?

In this case I do not believe that it requires RCD protection.:-)

That's the opposite of what you initially said.

That's because of last nights painkillers and alcohol - OK:-)?

And I had to walk home in the gf's dressing gown this morning because we
forgot to take my clothes out of her washing maching to dry last night.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 22:38, ss wrote:
I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp round
pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is switched on
from a light switch located elswhere.

The round sockets were installed maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the
previous owners, I was advised by an electrician that this was an old
format of being able to switch on table lamps from a light switch rather
than the wall socket.

Its not often seen, but its a perfectly valid and sensible arrangement
for those that life table lamps etc.

I have no idea which circuit they are on ie socket ring or lighting ring.

Could be on a lighting circuit or their own. If on the socket circuit
then there ought to be additional fusing elsewhere.

Now my question, I have recently purchased a 20 watt LED external
floodlight that comes with a 13 amp square plug, now I need to increase
the length of the cable and was looking to put a 5amp round plug on it
at the same time so I can use from the unused round pin socket.

Will this be safe to do so? With regard to Amps/wattage etc

As a rough guide, divide the wattage by the supply voltage to get a
typical current. So in that case 20 / 230 = ~87mA

Secondly I may purchase another 10 watt floodlamp so would it be ok to
run both from that 5 amp socket?

A 5A socket is good for loads up to 5 x 230 = 1150W

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
As I say, I'm just a bit worried about outdoor lighting being fed from a non
fused outlet.

It will *probably* be fused at 5A or 6A if connected to the lighting
circuit, although it could be much higher. (I can't remember what
the fusing limit is for a BS546 5A socket - a BS546 2A socket can
be on a circuit fused at up to 10A, which is the common lighting
circuit protection in commercial premises.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:13:59 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/07/2014 22:38, ss wrote:

[...]

Its 240v, so 1.2kVA.
A 20w 0.15 pf load would consume 133VA, so the socket would be rated to power 9 of them. How many depends on the product pf.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW

modern, not old

old too. It was in my parents' 1910 house.

Was it switched by a wall switch? Lighting sockets were common in old
properties but they seldom had remote switching.

yes, 3 sockets with one switch by the door.

That would have been a posh house then. The ones I have rewired usually
were just live lighting sockets with no switches.

yes - it was in Murrayfield, Edinburgh. A posh suburb.

On the few occasions I have seen such a set up (ie a remotely switched 5A
socket not just an always live 5A socket in pre 1930s wiring) it must be
worth mentioning that one of them was in Marchmont:-)

5A sockets are back in fashion at all the good rewires I do. Of course the
switching is now done by the iPod and not by a switch on the wall if the
customer has money to burn.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:55:56 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARW
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , ARW

modern, not old

old too. It was in my parents' 1910 house.

Was it switched by a wall switch? Lighting sockets were common in old
properties but they seldom had remote switching.

yes, 3 sockets with one switch by the door.

That would have been a posh house then. The ones I have rewired usually
were just live lighting sockets with no switches.

yes - it was in Murrayfield, Edinburgh. A posh suburb.

Were there bells on springs in the kitchen so they could summon the
maid?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/14 21:24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
As I say, I'm just a bit worried about outdoor lighting being fed from a non
fused outlet.

It will *probably* be fused at 5A or 6A if connected to the lighting
circuit, although it could be much higher. (I can't remember what
the fusing limit is for a BS546 5A socket - a BS546 2A socket can
be on a circuit fused at up to 10A, which is the common lighting
circuit protection in commercial premises.)

My 5A light plugs are on 16A lighting rings

This the electrician assured me, is common practice, as the 16A suits
the wiring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 22:38, ss wrote:

[...]

One ought to get into the habit of using the nominal 230V for
calculations IMHO.

A 20w 0.15 pf load would consume 133VA, so the socket would be rated to power 9 of them. How many depends on the product pf.

Since the OPs total load - keeping things simple - is a fraction of an
amp, there seemed little point over doing it.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2014 22:38, ss wrote:

[...]

Britain's target voltage is 240v, not 230. So if you want the correct answers, it needs to be 240. We have an odd situations now where what is in actual fact 240v is described as 230v.

NT