Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Load for a 5amp wall socket

On 26/07/2014 22:52, wrote:
On Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:38:22 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:

I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp round
pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is switched on
from a light switch located elswhere.
The round sockets were installed maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the
previous owners, I was advised by an electrician that this was an old
format of being able to switch on table lamps from a light switch rather
than the wall socket.

modern, not old

I have no idea which circuit they are on ie socket ring or lighting ring.

presumably lighting

Now my question, I have recently purchased a 20 watt LED external
floodlight that comes with a 13 amp square plug, now I need to increase
the length of the cable and was looking to put a 5amp round plug on it
at the same time so I can use from the unused round pin socket.
Will this be safe to do so? With regard to Amps/wattage etc
Secondly I may purchase another 10 watt floodlamp so would it be ok to
run both from that 5 amp socket?

20w @240v = 0.08A. 5A 240v = 1.2kW, so well within its ability

Someone else can moan about RCDs, but it shuld be fine.

NT

"presumably lighting"

Knowing this house probably the electric shower circuit :-)

"modern, not old"

Ah! full circle again seemingly this was how they done it when
electricity was first introduced in to homes, so I was told.