Posted to uk.d-i-y
Old Codger[_4_] Old Codger[_4_] is offline

Default Load for a 5amp wall socket

On 26/07/2014 22:38, ss wrote:
I have alongside some normal square pin 13 amp sockets some 5 amp round
pin sockets, the 13 amp works as normal but the 5 amp is switched on
from a light switch located elswhere.

The round sockets were installed maybe late 90s in an 80s house by the
previous owners, I was advised by an electrician that this was an old
format of being able to switch on table lamps from a light switch rather
than the wall socket.

I have no idea which circuit they are on ie socket ring or lighting ring.

Now my question, I have recently purchased a 20 watt LED external
floodlight that comes with a 13 amp square plug, now I need to increase
the length of the cable and was looking to put a 5amp round plug on it
at the same time so I can use from the unused round pin socket.

Will this be safe to do so? With regard to Amps/wattage etc

Secondly I may purchase another 10 watt floodlamp so would it be ok to
run both from that 5 amp socket?

Should be. Assuming the wiring behind the socket is correct, and there
is no reason from what you say to suspect otherwise, then the
theoretical maximum load is 1250 watts (1.25KW), say 1KW (1000 watts) to
allow for inefficiencies.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field