Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. is offline

Default I need help with fixing a Tektronix 2245A oscilloscope (long)

In article ,
says...
So presumably the cap failed and caused the resistor to char. Here's
the thing - the main board power schematic shows 25 or 30 of these
things. The processor board has 20 or so more. Are these things
failure prone or is the fact that these components were covered and
maybe got a little hotter than others likely to be a factor? I'm not
going to replace anything other than these two for now, but I'm
thinking of ordering a bunch of these:

I do some work for my friends now and then and I just got a
CB radio in at home base for the second time..

The first time the signal meter was pegging when turned on, that
was caused by a 47uf 10v cap.

The second time, which is just last night, the squelch circuit failed
to operate and open. That was caused by a shorted capacitor in the local
by pass network, also a 47uf 10v cap.

Both these caps failed shorted and were the same values. Something
tells me I should replace all of these caps in the radio before
returning it.

P.S.

These caps failed shorted down below 10 ohms.

Jamie